Channukah is around the corner. We light the menorah with its eight candles every night of the holiday to remember the great miracle that happened after the battle against the Greeks. The Holy temple was destroyed and all that was found was a small amount of oil that would only provide light for one day. Instead of lasting one day, it lasted for full eight days.
While we don’t usually experience such miracles today, there were definitely some miraculous events that happened in 2016.
- For the first time in American history, a woman secured a presidential nomination from one of the two major political parties.
- Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar! After being nominated for a total of seven Oscars, Leo finally won his first Academy Award for his acting in The Revenant this year.
- The Chicago Cubs finally overcame their 71-year curse to win the World Series.
- The Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau walked this year at the Toronto Pride Parade. As the first Prime Minister to ever walk at a Prime Parade, Trudeau will hopefully have a positive impact on the future of LGBTQ communities.
- Partly thanks to the Ice Bucket Challenge, scientists were able to find the gene linked to ALS. This brings them a step closer to finding a cure.
- This year, a new treatment for skin cancer was found. It has been shown to increase the survival rates of melanoma patients by 40%.
- The first plane circled our planet without using a drop of fuel! It was 100% solar powered. The two pilots of the plane predict that within the next 10 years, all commercial flights will be solar powered. If this is true, it will be a great relief for our environment!
- We had a very mild winter, a hot summer, and a long, beautiful fall.