Written by Max Marmer, Director of Hillel Waterloo
February and March are months that are known to bring on ‘the blahs’, a feeling of low energy and a bit of cabin fever caused by short winter days and the cold keeping us indoors. I’ve found a great article from Huffington Post with seven tips to BEAT THE BLAHS as we head into March and I’ve added some ways that Hillel can help!
- When it’s cold outside, be warm and sunny from the inside: Go into your heart more. Do the things that warm your heart and make your light shine and radiate. Maybe it is helping out at a soup kitchen, or cooking a meal for your elderly neighbours, or a random act of kindness.
- Create an inspiring space: Our environment directly impacts our creativity and productivity. Low light tends to create lower moods. So brighten up your interior, both literally and figuratively. Create an inspiring space where you do your creative work. Colour plays a huge role. Paint your walls vibrant colours such as red, yellow or orange – or calming ones like baby blue. Enhance your space in a way that is inspiring to you — and maybe it will inspire others.
- Buy new art or make your own: If you already collect art, take stock of what you have. Consider trading or buy new art. Start a new collection of artifacts or other items that have meaning to you and place them in your creative space. Perhaps it is from your travels. Or make your own art to hang on the wall.
- Listen to music to lift your spirits: Listen to the kinds of music that pick up your energy, spirit and mood. Music impacts our energy level.
- Get outside to play: If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em! Even if you are not athletic, get outside to play as much as possible. Go for walks, even if they are short. Play winter sports. Go tobogganing. Remember the fun you had as a kid and try to re-create that feeling.
- Take a class: Taking courses forces us to get out of our spaces, meet new people, we learn something new, and it keeps us engaged. Consider taking a photography, cooking or language course.
- Get some sunshine: We all crave fleeing from the Canadian cold into warmer, sunnier climates. So find a travel deal and go somewhere new, whether it is basking on a beach or a wellness retreat, or taking a course, such as Spanish, in a place that inspires you.
Hillel creates experiences that check each and every one of these suggestions. Whether it’s joining in to the spirited singing at Shabbat Dinner, creating art at a Paint Night, or connecting you with opportunities for travel to warmer destinations such as Birthright Israel, we have something that is sure to beat those winter blues and carry you into the spring and summer!