Written by Micki Mizrahi, Chair
Rabbi Hillel declared: “A single candle can light a thousand more without diminishing itself.” Tomorrow night, the Jewish world along with Jewish students who have been impacted by their campus Hillel, most of whom are home with their families, will be lighting the Chanukah candles. We will witness that the Shamash flame will not be diminished as it lights the first candle.
Hillel Ontario’s Board of Directors wanted to reflect on the accomplishments that our talented Hillel professionals have supported and executed, and share our collective successes from 2016. These achievements have demonstrated that one candle, one student, one Hillel professional, one volunteer, one Hillel partner organization, can light many other candles, students, Hillel professionals, volunteers, and Hillel partner organizations without diminishing itself. These lights that are strong enough to influence and inspire thousands are:
- The innovative student who impacted over 3000 students at Guelph University when she organized a replica of a German cattle car to be on campus during Holocaust Education Week
- The highest attended AGM and largest community event to date where Eric Fingerhut, President and CEO of Hillel International discussed the trends, successes, and challenges across university Campuses. He was joined at the community event with Adam Minsky (President and CEO, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto), Shimon Fogel (Executive Director, CIJA) and Marc Newburgh (CEO, Hillel Ontario)
- The group of community lay and professional leaders who helped develop the brand new Hillel Ontario Strategic Plan to launch our regional Hillel as the largest one in the world and has now been used as a model of excellence at Hillel International Board of Directors meetings and the JFNA General Assembly (where we sponsored 5 Hillel student leaders to participate in the conference)
- The partnering with CIJA to help the anti-BDS Motion at Queen’s Park succeed where in 48 hours, Hillel students were mobilized and actively helped provincial MPPs understand the importance of their positive vote
- The winning an award from Hillel International for our fundraising initiative On One Foot, which has now been adopted by campuses all over North America.
On behalf of our devoted Board of Directors, I’d like to thank the remarkable Marc Newburgh and all of the Hillel Ontario professionals, student leaders and generous donors who are ensuring that Jewish life on campus is strong and vibrant and as bright as the beautifully lit Chanukiah.
All my best,
Micki Mizrahi, Chair, Hillel Ontario Board of Directors
Board of Directors: Marcy Abramsky, Michael Diamond, Yona Elishis, Daniel Ferman, Yael Karol, Noah Kochman, Michael Kuhl, Pamela Kuhl, Leanne Matlow, Henry Morton, Jeremy Pertman, Ed Prutschi, Stephen Shore, Allan Weinbaum